This guide simply explains in a very easy way, all the technologies and procedures that you need to know to perform Exchange 2010 data center switch over, recovering DAG member or stretching DAG between sites.
Check other parts:
Quick Tricks when switching over a secondary Datacenter: Activating CAS Servers
If the primary datacenter has the following URLs internally and externally
- Mail.NYC.contoso.com (Outlook Anywhere)
- OWA.NYC.contoso.com (Outlook Web Access)
- EAS.NYC.contoso.com (Exchange ActiveSync)
And the secondary site has:
And suppose SCP for Autodiscover for CAS servers in the primary datacenter points to Mail.NYC.contoso.com where SCP for CAS servers in the secondary datacenter points to Mail.LON.contoso.com. Suppose also that the public autodiscover.Contoso.com points externally to primary datacenter publishing rule
During Data center Switch Over:
- OWA :
Change the IP address for OWA.NYC.contoso.com to point to OWA.LON.contoso.com in the internal and external DNS servers. This really depends if the primary data center will be off for long time.
You can also chose not to change this DNS name if the primary CAS servers are online since they will do the redirection.
- EAS :
Change the IP of EAS.NYC.contoso.com to point to EAS.LON.contoso.com in the internal or external DNS servers. You can also chose to tell the users to manually change this manually on their mobiles.
- Outlook Anywhere :
- Either manually let users to change their outlook proxy settings to Mail.LON.contoso.com
- Automatic solution would be making sure Autodiscover service is reachable internally and externally so that outlook profile repair will do the trick and switch Mail.NYC.contoso.com to Mail.LON.contoso.com
- NOTE: VERY IMPORTANT: Don’t ever try to change the DNS name of Mail.NYC.contoso.com to point to Mail.LON.contoso.com. This will always fail as the subject name of the certificate in LON datacenter is mail.lon.contoso.com while the proxy settings in user outlook profile is mail.nyc.contoso.com